Saturday, November 24, 2007

Globalization


Globalization. I heard that word in class and I thought "what the heck does that mean" luckily my professor explained, and so shall I confused reader! Globalization is making products throughout the world, since thats my own definition and very vague here is how wikipedia defines it: Globalization is the increasing interconnectedness of people and places as a result of advances in transport, communication, and information technologies that causes political, economical, and cultural convergence
(sounds much more honkey dory!). Anyways, companies like Nike are big players in globalization. That is, they don't actually make any products, rather they hire contractors in other countries to get their stuff made at a cheap price. Those contractors may choose to hire other contractors who can make the stuff cheaper and so forth. In the end Nike ends up with a finished product and slaps their logo on it. The consumer then pays ridiculous amounts of money on said product. My main problem with this scenario is the labor costs. Its obvious that the energy and materials needed to make these products is going to come at a set price. The only way to cut costs then would be in the labor. In order for companies like Nike to keep costs down they have to find the cheapest labor (or the cheapest contractor) so who really gets hurt in the end is the worker. The other side of the coin is that this is good for countries and that it provides jobs and boosts the economy. I disagree. Companies like Nike are not trying to better economies or providing employment. They are looking for the cheapest most docile work force. Forget unions and fair wages, these workers are treated much like slaves. Nike is certainly not the only company guilty of this, most companies are. The next time you are out shopping look at the label. Where are these products coming from? How does it make you feel to purchase products that were made under sweat-shop like conditions? I am currently at a crossroad with myself on how I can shop with a peace of mind. I do not want to buy products made under these conditions, and yet where do I shop? If you've read my previous posts you'll know I have recently decided to go green (you know, leave a smaller footprint on the earth) and that is no easy transition. I am still learning new things everyday. Knowledge truly is power.

No comments: